Xiequ Yuan (Garden of Harmonious Pleasures):The Garden of Harmonious Pleasures was first built in the 16th year of Emperor Qianlong’s reign (1751). Modeled on the famous Jichang Garden in Huishan, Wuxi, Jiangsu Province, it was first known as Huishan Garden. It took on the name of Garden of Harmonious Pleasures following its refurbishment in the 16th year of Emperor Jiaqing’s reign (1811). Burned down by the Anglo-French Allied Forces in 1860, the garden was rebuilt in the 18th year of Emperor Guangxu’s reign (1892). The pond is small and peaceful; a winding corridor, composed of over one hundred sections, connects the towers, pavilions, halls, chambers, bridges and terraces along the waterside. These ingeniously interconnected structures form a diverse landscape, making this the best known “garden within a garden” in China.
Sida Buzhou (Four Great Regions):Built during Emperor Qianlong’s reign (1736-1795), this group of Buddhist structures was built in accordance with the Tibetan style of architecture. They were called the Jambudvipa, Uttarakara, Purvavidewa, and Aparagodahiya. Burned down in 1860 by the Anglo-French Allied Forces, they were rebuilt to the original design in 1980.
Danning Tang (Hall of Serenity):First built during Emperor Qianlong’s reign (1736-1795), it was an important building in the Bank Lake area,nestling by the hill and facing the lake,it was burned down by the Anglo-French Allied Forces in 1860, and was not rebuilt when the Summer Palace was reconstructed during Emperor Guangxu’s reign (1875-1908). After careful preparation, this hall was rebuilt in 1996 on the original site in its original style. On display in the hall is precious furniture from the imperial court of the Ming and Qing dynasties.
Xiangyan Zongyin Zhi Ge
(Hall of the Buddha Confirming His Doctrine):
This hall, once a three-storey structure, was first built during Emperor Qianlong’s reign (1736-1795). It was burned down in 1860 by the Anglo-French Allied Forces and reconstructed in its present style during Emperor Guangxu’s reign (1875-1908). Enshrined in the hall are the statues of the Buddha of Three Ages and the Eighteen Arhats.
Jiayin Xuan (Pavilion of Good Shade):Built during Emperor Qianlong’s reign (1736-1795), this pavilion was named Pavilion of Good Shade because it stood in the shaded area between two old Chinese scholar trees. Burned down in 1860 by the Anglo-French Allied Forces, the pavilion was restored in 1989.