Tiaoyuan Zhai (Chamber of Distant Gazing):Also known as the “Building for Watching the Temple Fair”, the hall was built during Emperor Guangxu’s reign (1875-1908). The whole structure was built on a high base to provide a broad view. It was built so that the Empress Dowager could watch the Temple Fair, which was held annually outside the north wall of the Summer Palace.
Miaojue Si (Miaojue Temple):Originally built during Emperor Qianlong’s reign (1736-1795), this is the smallest temple in the Summer Palace. The temple comprises a front gate, enclosing walls, a flag post and front rooms. It was once a place for worshiping the Chengjiu Buddha.
Suzhou Jie (Suzhou Street):Originally called Merchants Street, it was built in the style of South China towns during Emperor Qianlong’s reign (1736-1795). A street where emperors and empresses could pretend to go shopping as ordinary people, it was burned to the ground by the Anglo-French Allied Forces in 1860 and restored in 1990. The 300-meter street is built over water with shops and stands on the bank. More than 60 businesses, including a teahouse, a restaurant, a pharmacy, a bank, a hat store, a jewelry store and a grocery store, operate on the bank, presenting a concentrated illustration of the commercialism in South China towns in the 18th century.
Yinhui Chengguan (Tower of Dawn Light):
Built during Emperor Qianlong’s reign (1736-1795), this tower was one of the six major passage gates of the Summer Palace. The inscription on the east stele means “Dawn Light” and that on the west stele says “Scoop up Coolness”. This tower is paired with the “Connecting to the Clouds” gate tower in the west to form two major land access points to Suzhou Street.